Monday, August 14, 2006


Dear Emmylou,

You are five months old today and we couldn't be enjoying you more! I mean, you've always been fun, but now we're realizing you were kind of a bump on a log (albeit a very cute bump on a log) up until the last few weeks, since you've learned some fun, new tricks! We're in Texas right now and a couple of days ago at your Grammie's house, you blew raspberries for the first time and cracked yourself up. We thought it was hilarious and made you do it over and over and over again. Now it's one of your favorite things to do, even doing it this morning while I was feeding you bananas (I guess I got what I asked for). Your other tricks are splashing water in the pool, rolling over, and grabbing both feet when you lie on your back. You're also close to being able to sit up by yourself and you'll take anything we put in front of you and put it in your mouth to see how it tastes. But maybe the best trick you've learned so far, though, is how to sleep through the night. Ever since we got back from New York and you've been in your own room and bed, you've slept a minimum of nine hours a night! Yes, I do think this trick is my favorite.

You are laughing so much these days for lots of different reasons. You laugh when your daddy or I blow a raspberry on your tummy and even more when I follow it up by tickling your sides. And you're really great for my self esteem, because you think everything I say and do is hilarious. I absolutely love it when you look in my eyes and then reach out to put your hands on my cheeks. So sweet!

You were such a big girl yesterday. While your Grammie, Aunts Emmy and Lizzie and I were off at Lake Austin Spa getting our dosha balanced, third eye clarified and bodies stretched, massaged and scrubbed, you spent the morning with your Mimi and then went to see the Am Rhein crew at Aunt Lynn's house. I heard you were a very good girl and that you loved hanging out with everyone. It makes me so happy that you are getting to spend time with everyone here in Texas but it breaks my heart a little that they aren't all part of our daily lives up in Baltimore. Maybe that will change soon-- it's so important to us that you are close to everyone in the family. We all love you so much!

Our lives continue to change in so many ways because of you. There are the little ways, like the millions of snaps I never knew I'd fasten on your clothes and how I never knew I'd care so much about when someone else poops, but then there's the big way we've changed: you have made us into a real family. We never knew how good it would feel to sneak you into bed with us to cuddle on weekend mornings, to board and ride the plane to Texas together as a family, and to see the world through your eyes as you discover new sights, sounds, tastes and smells everywhere we go. We'll be right beside you every step of the way.

Love you,
Mama

1 comment:

Kari said...

Wow- those baby yoga classes are paying off Miss EmmyLou! You are very good at the "happy baby" pose! ;)