Thursday, June 14, 2007

Dear Emmylou,

Can life get any more exciting? At fifteen months old, there is hardly a thing you don't meet with a super-excited gasp or thoughtful "oooooh!" You are curious about everything and as I watch you explore every new thing, I see you getting smarter with each experience. You're trying out new words, following directions, pointing to lots of body parts and swimming, climbing and dancing every chance you get. In short, you're kind of a tornado ripping through each day, trying to get your hands on everything you possibly can, but in a really sweet, mostly non-destructive kind of way (I'm sure the destruction part is still yet to come).

Today you had to go to the doctor for your 15 month check-up and here are your current stats: height is 34 1/4 inches (50th percentile); weight is 21 lbs, 7 oz (25th-50th percentile); and your head circumference is 47 cm (50th-75th percentile). The doctor said all of that was fantastic, but I think your dad may be a little worried about the head circumference-- he's had a bit of a complex about having a big head ever since I've known him (many baseball cap-buying nightmares), so I'm sure he's hoping yours stays in proportion. I think it's perfect the way it is, so don't listen to him! You had to get 2 shots today that were the worst yet-- it broke my heart when you screamed and cried but I have to say the look you gave the nurse afterwards was kinda funny. Everyone at the office thought you were soooo cute-- and a little goofy! You're always a good sport, though, so I wasn't surprised.

Okay, well let's get on with it: here's the monthly mushy part... I've been wondering lately if it's because we spend almost all of our time together or if it's just how it is with all mothers and daughters, but, Emmylou, I can't even begin to describe the bond I feel with you. I guess I've tried with the nearly 200 posts on this blog, but sometimes I still feel like I haven't even scratched the surface in expressing the love and joy you bring to my life. I mean, I don't want to sound like a co-dependent maniac, but what else would get me up before 7am every single day with a smile on my face? And who knew that picking up your toys for the millionth time would remind me of your laughter that day playing with them? And that after about 15 minutes of relaxation once you've gone to bed, I'd wish you were back up with us? Sixteen months ago I would've never thought I'd be spilling my guts to you every month where anyone could read it. But now, I don't care. I just want you to know how much I love you. That you're my favorite person. That I'll always be here for you. That I'm having the time of my life getting to know you. What should we do next?

All my love,
Mama

No comments: